Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Tonkotsu Kazan Ramen - Volcano Bubbling Over with Flavour

I don't know about the rest of you out there but it seems having a kid allows you to explore parts of Singapore that you have seldom ventured before and is a great opportunity of stumbling onto new eatery finds; Tonkotsu Kazan Ramen was one such adventure - I was out shopping for baby J (his fat ass had outgrown his swim nappy) and needed to refuel myself after....

Tucked away in a corner on Square 2 was this bright red shop - it was half filled when I walked in after lunch hour at 2pm.  Looked rather unpromising, to be honest, but I was feeling a bit adventurous.

The promising-looking menu
I was actually gunning for a normal ramen and usually go for Shio ramen to test how good the broth is. Plus I'm not a big fan of Shoyu and Miso ramen as I have been blessed with more misses than hits whenever I try.  But somehow the kazan ramen caught my eye and it was on virtually every table in the house so what the heck!  Since I was feeling adventurous, might as well go all the way....

There were 4 types of Kazan ramen to choose from - Kazan Shoyu, Kazan Kaisen-Shio, Kazan Karamiso and Kazan Curry.

My Choice of Kazan Shoyu
My intial choice was Kazan Kaisen-Shio but I'm a meat lover so wanted to change to Cha Siu instead of having seafood.  However, the friendly staff informed me that it was not possible so meat won over and I took the Kazan Shoyu instead.

While waiting for the food to come, I could not help but notice this sticker label on almost all the tables.  A more detailed look said that it was instructions for the "volcanic" ramen.....at this point, great expectations kicked it and I was rubbing my hands for my lunch to appear.
How To Cook Delicious "Volcano" Kazan Ramen


Ready
Steady,
Go!
The service staff appear with this hotpot - it was ramen, topped with cabbage and generous chunks of ramen.  He patiently waited for me to snap my pictures before pouring the soup into the hotpot and it crackled to life immediately!

The cover was speedily added and the "volcanic" effect appeared after a while.

Hour glass was turned over at the appearance of fumes from the "chimney" in the cover.

Waiting, Waiting...
More soup was added after the minute was up....
Look at the bowl boil over!
Finished product!


It was a generous portion and came with a bowl of rice for those who like more carbohydrates.  The soup was tasty and when rice was added to soup, it was superb!

After trying my gluttony best, this was the remainder of my meal....I think the portion can be shared by 2 ladies or even a couple when going out.  Just that if your other half is a 18-year old boy just out from the army, you might be at the losing end!

I'd say this is worth a second visit but probably more for novelty than absolute taste.









TONKOTSU KAZAN RAMEN

10 Sinaran Drive #02-68/69 Square2 Singapore 307506Tel :(65)6397-6636


1 comment:

BaconandJackRussels said...

I was wondering why your blog has been silent for so long! Welcome back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails