Sunday, May 10, 2009

美味留香小厨 Gourmet Corner Hong Kong Roast @ Philip Street




One of my lunch mate, who's wife was working in Raffles Place, brought us to Philip street to try out the Hong Kong Roast 港式烧腊 at Gourmet Corner. When you are there during lunch time, you cannot miss the place. There will be a queue just at the entrance of the eating house where the Hong Kong Roasts are displayed.

Temporary marquees are setup outside the eating house, along Philip Street, to provide more seats for the consistent lunch time crowd. To survive in Raffles Place, efficiency is top priority in running any food joint. Right behind the counter, an elderly looking man was continuously cutting up the roast pork and the char siew. The other 5 helpers were all busy with their individual tasks like taking orders from the queue, scooping soup and so on. The business golden hour is, after all, only lunchtime. Although, there is a queue, it moves fast.

This is a S$4.50 plate of char siew and roast pork rice. I asked for yam rice rather than the normal white rice and added an extra braised egg. The roast pork is roasted well. The pig skin and fats at the outer layer forms a crispy crust. Yet, the meat below the fats are mostly lean and tender. The char siew is marvelous too. Sweetness of the char siew is just right for me. The gravy enhances the taste of the meat with the yam rice.



I was sharing my experience about my lunch at Gourmet Corner at Philip Street with HY and rest of my family and realized that most of them knows about it already. I'm about the last one who's interested in food to find out about this good food place!

Address : 15 Philip Street #01-00 Tan Ean Kiam Building

Country : Singapore

2 comments:

NP2.0 said...

Hi, I am looking for the recipe for " Sharing My Ginger Tea Recipe" posted on May 08, 2009 6:48AM. Seem like the link is gone, i am looking forward for your reply. pls send to shawnpeh@hotmail.com

Slurp said...

Hi Shawn its at this link
http://4-the-love-of-weekend-cooking.blogspot.com/2009/07/sharing-my-ginger-tea-recipe.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails