Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Authentic Fish and Chips @ Smiths

It's been a while since I've eaten fish and chips and the nearest place that I can get fish and chips is at Smiths @ Tanjong Katong. Smiths was started by 2 Englishmen who brings cod, haddock and halibut for the fish while most of the places in Singapore uses dory. Here's my Battered Cod and chips at S$18 when. I've never eaten an authentic fish and chips and certainly don't know how to spot one. This one has a crispy batter and the Cod was as flaky as Gindara that I've eaten before. However, it tasted a little bland but the taste was easily awakened by a little sprinkle of salt that was provided. The chips was marshy and soft even though they were specially imported from UK and Australia. The paper that was used to wrap the fish and chips takes away the greasiness. Is this authentic fish and chips from UK? Some helpful folks who have eaten the real thing enlightened me please.

Besides the salt shaker, there's tomato ketchup, vinegar and HP sauce to go with the battered fish. I ordered some curry to go with the fish and chips but left most of the curry untouched as I still prefer just adding a little salt and that's all that's needed for me to enjoy Smiths Fish and Chips. 

Smiths is more of a takeaway joint located in a shophouse space Tanjong Katong Road. It has limited tables and chairs. Look out for two more branches coming up soon!

230 Tanjong Katong Road
Singapore
Tel : +65 6345 9855
Smiths Fish and Chips Website

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails