Friday, November 23, 2012

Our 2 favorite dishes in 鼎泰豐 Ding Tai Fung

鼎泰豐 Ding Tai Fung needs no recommendations to most Singaporeans. This Taiwanese Xiao Long Bao chain has been a hit ever since they reach our shores. Thanks to the shrewd business acumen of Mr George Quek, founder of Bread Talk, that we are able to taste this popular Northern China snack, from the popular in Taipei brand name, right here in Singapore. It's only during the umpteen time that we visited 鼎泰豐 Ding Tai Fung that I noticed 2 dishes that we will always order. Whether we order 10 dishes or just 2 dishes, these 2 dishes will appear. 

蟹粉小笼包 Steamed Crab Meat and Pork Dumplings. There's the original steamed pork dumplings but HY and I simply love the extra indulgence from the sweetness of the crab meat. It gave the soup that is partially filled inside the exquisitely thin dumpling skin a sweetness over the overall savory flavor. Here's how I enjoy my steamed dumplings....

Pick the dumpling up carefully by pinching the tip of the dumpling with a pair of chopsticks. We pick the dumpling up by the tip as that is the part where the skin is thickest, most robust and hence least chance of poking a hole through the skin. As you are lifting it up, be careful as the base of the dumpling is usually quite delicate. If you're not careful and tear the skin, the essence which is the the soup inside the dumpling will flow out and be wasted. As the soup inside the dumpling is the highlight, that's the reason why we try to finish the dumplings before any other dishes or else the soup will start to evaporate and dry up.

I'll lay my dumpling on a spoon, bite a hole through the skin to enjoy the soup before shoving the rest of the dumpling into my mouth.

The condiment to go with steamed dumplings is black vinegar with ginger. They enhance the flavors of the dumplings. We got a friend who virtually "drown" her dumpling in black vinegar and sometimes ask cheekily for another fresh bottle of vinegar.

虾仁蛋饭 Fried Rice with Shrimps and Eggs. To have this taste like the original Taiwanese version, starchy Pearl Rice is used. With the consistently good "wok hei", this fried rice becomes our regular complimentary to Ding Tai Fung steamed dumplings. Quality must have been controlled well as I find that this dish is consistently good at both the branches that I frequent, I12 Katong and the Paragon.

Among the branches, I have a preference for I12 Katong branch as the service staff were attentive and sensitive to our needs, at least during the times I visited. There was one instance when I visited the restaurant when HY was pregnant, the service staff helped HY with her seat and while they serve me their regular Chinese tea, they served HY a glass of warm water. It's good to avoid too much caffeine like our gynae would say. Some great service that's worth mentioning right here in a land where good service in the service industry is hard to come by.


112 East Coast Road
#01-04 I12 Katong
Singapore 428802
Tel : +65 6636 3909

2 comments:

Amasou Umasou said...

Hmmm... I can't help but wonder what that white pellet sitting amongst all your xiao long bao is.

Unknown said...

This is a basket of 10 xlb. The white "pellet" that you see is actually a little dough. They don't serve 11 xlbs.

I think it's there to "chope" the space for a future "1 free xlb for 10 xlb ordered promotion". Just kidding.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails